Friday, October 21, 2011

Salome's Story

This is a piece of my newest adventure!

“Is she dead?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

Peter leaned down and put his fingers close to the girl’s nose, careful not to touch her. “She’s breathing.”

“Who is she?”

“How am I supposed to know? I’m not the Rabbi!”

“Well that is obvious.”

“What’s your problem, man? You’ve been in a foul mood all week.”

“I’ve been in a foul mood? You’re the one griping on me all the time!”

“What’s going on, guys?” Thomas joined them.

“Shh, don’t let Jesus hear you.”

“Sorry. What’s going on?”

“The girl.”

“Peter! I thought we had a pact! No women. Remember?”

“She’s not mine! Besides, look how young she is! I would never!”

“Well whose is she, then?”

“I don’t know, we just found her here.”

“She’s dressed like a dancer.”

“And a fine one, at that.”

“Purple linen…do you think she’s one of the palace girls?”

“Quiet down! Don’t let Mary Magdalene hear you say that. You know she doesn’t like to remember what happened to her.”

“She won’t hear me! She’s walking over there with Jesus.”

“How’d she get here?”

“We don’t know! We tied up the boat over there and came this way looking for firewood and we saw her just lying here.”

“Hey, brothers, what are you all doing?”

“Luke, she’s not mine!”

“What are you talking about, Peter?”

“Hey, guys,” Jesus walked up to them with Mary Magdalene.

“Uh-oh.”

“What’s going on?”

“She’s not mine!”

“What are you talking about, Peter?”

“Yes, thank you, what are you talking about, Peter?”

“Look, Andrew and I just walked over here.”

“And then Thomas joined us and accused Peter of breaking our pact.”

Peter slapped his brother in the stomach to make him be quiet.

“What pact?” Jesus asked.

“Nice going, Andrew,” Thomas murmured.

“We, uh,” Peter began. “We – the three of us, that is – made a pact to hold each other accountable.”

“Accountable for what?” Jesus pressed.

“It’s really not appropriate to talk about it in front of Mary Magdalene, Lord.”

She laughed. “Am I that delicate?”

“It’s a pact to abstain from women, Jesus,” Andrew blurted.

“And are you ashamed of this, Peter?” Jesus asked.

“No, my Lord. I just didn’t want you to know that we struggle with that.”

“Peter,” Jesus clasped the back of his head and drew him in close. “I am very aware of your struggles. It is the reason I’m here. You need not be ashamed. I have come to rescue those who struggle. Don’t hide from me.”

“I’m sorry, Jesus.”

“You are beyond forgiven,” He smiled. “Now, what’s going on?”

“Oh, right, there’s a girl here we found.” Peter, Andrew, and Thomas stepped aside so Jesus, Luke, and Mary Magdalene could see the girl dressed in purple linens and scarves, lying on the seashore.

“Oh my goodness,” Mary Magdalene breathed and stepped forward. She knelt down to lift the girl’s head out of the sand. “She’s freezing cold.”

“She’s probably ill from being out here all night,” Luke said quickly. “I’ll go get my medicines and meet you at your house, all right, Mary Magdalene?”

“Yes, yes, of course,” she answered and Luke hurried away. “Jesus,” she said quietly. “Her ring holds the king’s crest. She’s royalty.”

“Her name is Salome,” Jesus answered sadly.

“That harlot who got John beheaded?” Peter cried.

“Don’t call her that!” He frowned.

“Jesus, this girl was the instrument of your cousin’s death! We should throw her into her sea!”

Jesus swooped down and lifted Salome in His arms, Mary Magdalene supporting her head.

“Will you be the first to throw a stone, Peter? Have you already forgotten what I have told you? I have come to rescue those who struggle. I have come to set her free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment